Thursday, February 28, 2019

How Trump's Office of Legal Counsel works

Former federal prosecutor Renato Mariotti talks with Erica Newland who quit her job at OLC because she felt they were simply aiding Trump's lies.  Mariotti and Newland are both on the edge of my listening tolerance as speakers, but I think what Ms. Newland has to say is both enlightening and important.  (And admittedly, I have a very low auditory tolerance, if that's the right way to say there are more things I can't stand to listen to than things I can. 

I'll also note that previous administrations have used the OLC for justifying unconstitutional and amoral policies, but as Ms. Newland describes it, there was a process for ascertaining the truth and necessity of Executive Orders before they were issued that Trump's administration has simply bypassed altogether.

Anyway, the podcast is here. (Or here with other Mariotti podcasts, at Episode 34.)

Check it out.  Also, his other podcasts are pretty much always interesting and enlightening as well.

And, oh yeah, impeach Trump.  (Dump Trump and Ditch Mitch for a return to democracy.)

...but hey, do what you want...you will anyway.

No comments: