Friday, February 22, 2019

Roger Stone (deservedly) got his ass handed to him on a platter

Some of my favorite parts of the gag order hearing transcript:

Begin this section with Mr. Rogow, Stone's attorney:









Because HE thinks that's the test that should be applied!  That's either really ballsy or really stupid.  Maybe both.

But, wait.  There's more.






I don't have any legal authority.  I just think that's the way it ought to be.  He really expects that to work in a court of law?   Is Roger Stone pulling from the same pool of lawyers as Trump?





Your his lawyer, for Chrissake.  You don't know if the company from which he receives his income is his own?  I guess we could ask him.  He's sitting right there.






Whatever happened to the idea that you never ask a question of your witness that you don't already know the answer to?









"And I expect you to be able to answer my questions."  How humiliating.  He can't say he wasn't warned.  But he just doesn't get it.  Neither he nor Roger Stone apparently had any clue what they were getting into.  At least from this transcript, it's obvious the lawyer knew immediately the trouble that Instagram post of Stone's was.  It's less obvious that he knows how to defend a case.







Thank you, Judge.  Roger Stone pretending he doesn't know the meaning of the word random was sticking in my craw, too.

Here is Special Counsel attorney Kravis cross-examining:








Clearly. And not having much success.

He got tired of struggling after a while, and when the judge questioned him about statements he made on Infowars...







Look.  I told you I regret it, it was an error, I meant no harm, I admit I abused your generosity.  My attorney and I think that's all I need to say.  Why are you still asking me questions?

Not the best way to go forward.





At which point, I imagine, the inside of his head exploded.





And then he relaxed, because he thought that ended the matter.  And it did.  For the judge.  Just not the ending Stone thought he was getting.






I think it's fairly obvious that Stone had saved this picture on his phone himself.  First, he says someone sent it to him, and then after a little weaseling, he said, or maybe it was saved on my phone.  And, if he wanted to know who sent it to him, all he had to do was go back in his messages and check.  If he'd deleted the text or email, he himself then saved the picture.  Trying to drag some volunteer into the situation to blame is just  shameful, and certainly not "accepting responsibility" as he claims (several times) he's doing.

After some further grilling by the judge and the Special Counsel, Stone's attorney gets up for redirect:





LOL.  It's not just Stone who doesn't get it.  His attorney still thinks that if he just says he's so, so, so, fucking sorry, he'll be fine.

And, finally...





God, what idiots.








LOL.

Obviously Rogow doesn't know what the word indefensible means or they would have just thrown themselves on the mercy of the court and kept Stone off the stand.

The judge gave the Special Counsel a turn to weigh in on what he thought should be done.







Judge Jackson then took Stone's attorney to task again for bullshitting her, and, having picked up nothing from the day's proceedings,  he tries to fight back.









Oh, honey.  Bad, BAD start of a sentence. Do not put yourself in the same bag with the judge.  I assure you she sees no connection between the two of you other than you're both people in the same room. She can eat you for lunch.







It's painfully obvious that you don't.






Uh-huh.  What would Stone mouth off about if you gave him a finite list of things he shouldn't be saying?  He knows what he shouldn't be saying.  But he'll say it if it's not on the list.  He's not a child.  He just acts like one.

The judge took a break, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Judge Jackson:







 [...] 






 [...] 




It would be my guess that it was - and still is - his intent to stoke such reactions so that he can claim he can't get a fair trial.





 [...] 





Ouch.




 [...] 






That's pretty clear.  I hope Stone and Rogow picked it up.







And this is going to be harder for Roger Stone than jail will be.


The whole transcript.

UPDATE:



Good advice.


No comments: