Sunday, September 22, 2019

Biden's record: The Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings

This is an old, but pertinent story.

I'm bringing it back up, because I recently listened to another good podcast by Renato Mariotti wherein he talked with Asha Rangappa.   I recommend it.

Both of those people are young enough that the Clarence Thomas hearings may not even have reached their spheres of attention, but of course they know about it, so when they brought it up in relation to the Kavanaugh hearings, which they discuss in the podcast, they didn't seem familiar with the details.  While I was old enough, I didn't know the details either.  According to this Jane Mayer article, in fact, the public was intentionally kept in the dark about most of what happened with the Anita Hill portion by none other than the man who presided over the hearings: Joe Biden.

In the podcast, Rangappa says that, unlike the Kavanaugh fiasco, she doesn't think the Thomas hearings showed any problem with the process itself.    I sent a link to the Mayer article to her on Twitter (and to Mariotti and his podcast partner, Patti Vasquez, as well), for which Rangappa thanked me, so I hope they'll somehow correct the error either in a subsequent podcast or at least on their Twitter accounts.  My Twitter response is there for anyone who happens to be following Mariotti's feed, but that won't be nearly as many who heard the podcast.

Say no to Joe.

No comments: