Saturday, August 20, 2022

Yeah, I didn't think he'd do it

Georgia Republican Senate candidate Herschel Walker says he's declined an invitation to participate in a debate in Macon against Senator Raphael Warnock.

During an appearance in Wrightsville on Friday, Walker said he has no plans to attend the Oct. 13 debate.

Warnock accepted the invitation to participate about a month ago. Walker’s campaign had not responded to the invitation since it was sent in June.

  13WMAZ
Can you imagine what that debate would be like? I'll give you a hint:
“I'm not going to respond to anything because you know that's not a debate, and you know that,” Walker said. “You've got people that are contributors to his campaign and it's in this room that only two people gonna see it on a Sunday night, I think. NFL Football, I am giving you an opportunity to be statewide so everybody can see what it is, see the contrast between the two of us. I don't know how you can ask for anything better.”

[...]

The debate is set for a Thursday night, not a Sunday. It is a co-sponsored debate by 13WMAZ, our Atlanta station 11Alive, Georgia Public Broadcasting, The Telegraph and Mercer’s Center for Collaborative Journalism at Mercer University.

[...]

Walker has accepted a debate invitation on Oct. 14 in Savannah. The debate is hosted by the Nexstar Media Group and other television stations.
I'll believe it when I see it.
"It is like the 'Rumble in the Jungle.' Everyone gets a chance to see he and I go at it," Walker said in Wrightsville on Friday. "This little country boy that's not too smart, and I am trying to unseat a Senator who is wrecking things. I’m going to call him Wreck-It Ralph. He ought to get to Savannah, Georgia, to go up against Herschel Walker."
“Two months ago, Reverend Warnock accepted invitations to three well-established Georgia debates in Atlanta, Savannah, and Macon to be broadcast statewide, after Herschel Walker said he would debate Reverend Warnock anywhere, anytime,” said Quentin Fulks, Warnock’s campaign manager. “Nothing has changed. Reverend Warnock remains committed to debating Herschel Walker and giving Georgians three opportunities to see the clear choice about who is ready to represent Georgia.”

[...]

Republicans in Georgia – many of whom have expressed concern over Walker’s liabilities as a candidate – say the first-time candidate would be better served by not facing Warnock in a public debate format. Walker easily won his May 24 primary without having to debate any of his GOP opponents.

  CNN
If that debate against Warnock actually happens, I will be glued to my screen. I likely won't be able to make sense of what Walker says, but I'll be watching.

...but hey, do what you want...you will anyway.

No comments: