Sunday, April 29, 2018

There goes another one

Already embroiled in a sexual harassment scandal [for reportedly using $39,000 of taxpayer dollars to settle sexual harassment claims from a former aide] that forced him to withdraw from a reelection bid, Rep. Pat Meehan (R-PA) abruptly announced his resignation Friday.

“While I do believe I would be exonerated of any wrongdoing, I also did not want to put my staff through the rigors of an Ethics Committee investigation and believed it was best for them to have a head start on new employment rather than being caught up in an inquiry,” he said in a statement. “And since I have chosen to resign, the inquiry will not become a burden to taxpayers and committee staff.”

  TPM
So selfless.
He promised to pay back the money, though he refers to it as “severance,” denying any wrongdoing.
Blake Farenthold resigned when it was learned he used $84,000 of that fund, and he promised to pay it back, too (which he hasn't, and don't hold your breath).

I bet any congressman who's used the fund is sitting on pins and needles waiting to be outed.  That, along with the trouncing they're expecting in 2018 may be a factor in why so many are "retiring" this year.

I don't understand this.  There's a fund for this; why can't they use it?  There shouldn't be any such fund.




No comments: