Friday, July 24, 2020

Trump's America

“I’ve seen a side of society that I guess is understandable but it’s a little bit disturbing. Back in the days of HIV when I was being criticized with some hate mail, it was, you know, people calling me a gay-lover and 'what the hell are you wasting a lot of time on that' ... things that you would just push aside as stupid people saying stupid things,” Fauci told CNN's David Axelrod on his “The Axe Files” podcast.

In 2020, Fauci said, “It’s really a magnitude different,” because “as much as people inappropriately, I think, make me somewhat of a hero … there are people who get really angry at thinking I’m interfering with their life because I’m pushing a public health agenda.”

This, he said, has led to both hate mail and “serious threats against me, against my family … my daughters, my wife — I mean, really? Is this the United States of America?”

Fauci added that he had been assigned security due to some of these threats.

[...]

“I can understand very well that you have to be careful because of the negative consequences of things like shutting down … but the hostility against public health issues is difficult not only to understand, but difficult to even process,” he added.

Fauci's comments come after President Trump recently characterized the doctor as "a little bit of an alarmist." Fauci refuted the characterization, saying that he was a realist.

  The Hill
Fauci: I want to protect American citizens.

Trumpers: We want to kill you.

...but hey, do what you want...you will anyway.

No comments: