Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Democratic National Convention - Day 1: "For the People"

Spanish versions at the DNC YouTube channel
Aaron Rupar clips


It was the day of the women, and introduction of Kamala to the country.  Well done.  Emphases on reproductive health care, the economy (and unions), and Trump's failure/lack of character.  They hit him hard on Covid.  There were good speakers who kept things short (around three minutes, except for Joe Biden at the end, who went on quite a while, shouting and touting his record, reminding me why I'm glad he stepped aside, and not so much Hillary Clinton, whom the crowd loved, and who loved the crowd loving her).  Joe's standing ovation(s) is what you might have expected - long and loud.


It should be noted that the audience cheering stretched many of the good speeches longer than their allotted time.

My favorite speeches:





She's got a long, bright political future ahead of her.




Warnock:  "We must choose between the promise of January 5 and the peril of January 6."


LOL.  

Jamie Raskin spoke, and I guess I was expecting too much, because I'm so impressed with him. He had some good lines, but his delivery was very strange. Maybe he was nervous? Has he never spoken to a packed stadium before?

Not everyone thought that.



Yeah, that made me chortle.

Anyway, nearly every speaker was shouting.  The venue is Chicago's United Center where the Chicago Bulls play. They have a good sound system. Didn't seem necessary to shout so much.

I didn't care for Joe's daughter, Ashley, who introduced him with a speech about "my dad, the best dad in the world."  It seemed like they were introducing her as a future politico.  I wasn't into it.  I'm pretty sick of dynasties.  I also didn't care for Jill Biden's speech that came right before Ashley, but I understand the DNC needed to give the Biden family props.  They stopped short of giving Hunter the stage.

There were some nice videos throughout, which may be - or become - campaign ads.

Not sure why they decided to have two country music performers. I could have done without Jason Isbell's choice of songs:  "Something more than free" 
And I don't think on why I'm here where it hurts
I'm just lucky to have the work
Sunday morning I'm too tired to go to church
But I thank God for the work

When I get my reward my work will all be done
And I will sit back in my chair beside the Father and the Son
No more holes to fill and no more rocks to break
And no more loading boxes on the trucks for someone else's sake
What???  How in hell did that fit the night?  Or anything democratic?

Whatever.  At least Mickey Guyton sang "we're all All Americans."

WTF?  Apparently, there was too much adulation for the speakers, and time ran short.  


Kamala made a surprise appearance.  But she and Doug were sitting in the audience alongside Tim and Gwen Walz.  One of the early speakers suggested that Tim was busy campaigning.  Uh - no.

All in all, it was a good night for the Democrats. Looking forward to Day 2: "A Bold Vision for America's Future."  Speakers include Second Gentleman Doug Emhoff, Illinois Governor JB Pritzker, and Barack Obama.  Hope the choice of performers is better.

...but hey, do what you want...you will anyway.

UPDATE 09:07 am:
 



The Israel-Gaza war was remarked upon by both Rev. Warnock and Joe Biden.  Perhaps others, but those are the two that stuck in  my head.





Pretty sure no national convention ever ended on time.

UPDATE 10:59 am:



Table turned.




Trump really stepped in it with that "black jobs" comment.

UPDATE 03:43 pm:

Mar-A-Lago is gonna need more ketchup.



I am rolling on the floor laughing.


True in most every situation.

UPDATE 08/22/2024:



No comments: