Friday, August 28, 2020

Do you need more big news?

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Friday announced that he will resign due to poor health.

At a press conference in Tokyo, Abe, 65, said that he had been struggling with his health since mid-July and that he’s ready to leave his position to a successor as soon as his party chooses one in the next month.

"My poor health should not lead to wrong political decisions," he said. "As I'm no longer able to meet the expectation of the mandate of the people of Japan, I have decided that I should not stay in the position as prime minister anymore. So I have decided to step down."

[...]

The Japanese leader has for years battled ulcerative colitis, a chronic bowel condition. He also stepped down as prime minister in 2007 after just a year in office before getting the condition under control. He returned to office in 2012.

  The Hill

No comments: