Friday, April 5, 2013

Featherfest

Galveston Island celebrates the flocking of migratory birds every year with the annual Featherfest activities. I don't know if the birds I've seen the last few days are migratory, but it's the first time I've caught sight of either. I've been throwing seed out all winter and saw some beautiful European starlings a few months ago, but mostly little sparrows and the ever-present pigeons and grackles. The grackles have gone elsewhere, but the pigeons gather at 7:30 am every morning on the wires and eaves, and as soon as I walk out the door, they come to the yard. (Sometimes I think they follow me to work. :-))

At any rate, yesterday morning I saw a purple finch in the palm tree by my back steps.  It was tres jolie.  He looked like a little sparrow that had been dyed red for Easter.  I didn't have my camera, so here's an internet picture:



I also saw a little brown bird with a yellow mask.  I tried Googling that and didn't find it.  Google returned mostly small yellow birds with black masks.  I found this:



but that isn't it.

I tried looking up all birds with yellow, and it's possible that it was a hooded warbler, although I didn't notice yellow on the belly, and the mask was very neatly drawn, and I think had a white ring around it.  I saw another small yellow bird this morning, but fleetingly, and its underbelly was indeed yellow, but I couldn't see its face.  I thought immediately of a finch, and it may have been.

Anyway, the bird in question had a mask like this hooded warbler, but the bird was otherwise all buff colored.  The internet pictures of the female show a similar bird, without the black head, but still looking quite yellow.  The immatures don't seem to have a distinct mask.  So....I don't know.



A couple of years ago about this time, my sister and I watched a small flock of screaming-brilliant blue birds in the yard where I was living.  I think we decided they were indigo buntings.  It was more secluded than where I am now, and I'm not expecting to see them again, but that would be a real treat.  It was once. 



Just, you know, in case you care to know.

1 comment:

LaBelle said...

the indigo buntings were a spectacular event i am happy to have witnessed. i'm not so sure you won't find that second "bird" hanging out around galveston island sometime :) wish i were there to see what else shows up.