Saturday, November 7, 2015

I Lied

I said I wasn't going to give any space to Ben Carson's lunacy.



I'm a bit befuddled.  What does that have to do with honesty?

1)  I don't think honesty is what they were testing.
2)  Why was there a photographer involved?
3)  He got paid???

This sounds like a story meant to show how smart and unfazed by life's rigors/trials Ben Carson is.  But what's with the money?

And, PS...ALL the other students walked out?  One hundred and forty-nine students walked out of a class  - YALE students - because an exam was difficult?

Sure, Ben.  Sure.

Let's hear from some of those students - if in fact that class even existed.  Perceptions 301 - which would be an upper level course - has 150 Yale students in it?  I'm already skeptical.  That level of a course - not a business course mind you, but a psychology course - in a state university, where pretty much average students are enrolled,  might possibly have ten to twenty students.  And at YALE?

I decided I shouldn't leave that point without backing it up, so I looked up the average size of classes at Yale on the Yale website and found this:

“Average” can be a very misleading term. Classes at Yale range from one-on-one tutorials to small seminars to lecture courses of several hundred students. Seventy-five percent of Yale College courses enroll fewer than twenty students; twenty-nine percent enroll fewer than ten. Only about forty out of all 2,000 courses enroll more than 100 students.

Something tells me Perceptions 301 is not among the 40.

Honesty indeed.  I'm gonna need some proof, Ben.

...but hey, do what you want...you will anyway.

UPDATE:
Doubts about the veracity of stories Republican presidential frontrunner Ben Carson has told about his life multiplied on Friday when his campaign admitted he had never sought admission to the prestigious West Point military academy.

[...]

This seems to contradict an account Carson published in his bestselling 1990 memoir Gifted Hands and elsewhere about being offered a scholarship to the academy after an outstanding performance in a reserve officers training corps (ROTC) program in his Detroit high school.

[...]

On Facebook in August, Carson repeated the claim: “The next question is from Bill. He wanted to know if it was true that I was offered a slot at West Point after high school. “Bill, that is true. I was the highest student ROTC member in Detroit and was thrilled to get an offer from West Point."

  Guardian

Honesty indeed.

UPDATED:  WSJ says there was no such event.

No comments: