Tuesday, June 18, 2013

You Just Don't Understand

“Unless you’ve been involved in those conversations, then it’s kind of hard for you to understand the complexity of the situation.”

  The Hill
Not that you’re going to get the chance to be involved in those conversations.  Obama’s talking about Syria here, but frankly, this is the sum and substance of his position (and that of essentially all the presidents before him, no doubt): ‘ I know more than you, so just go back and sit down.’ And, in fact, this is a typical response from some citizens:  'I trust the president is doing the right thing, because he knows more than we do.'

I have no doubt that is the way they want it to be. In their minds, it relieves them of moral responsibility. When I worked on the landscape crew at the University of Missouri, one of the planners installed angel trumpet around the campus. I went to the director and asked, “Do you know that angel trumpet is currently being experimented with as a hallucinogen and is highly toxic; that there have even been deaths from its use; and we’re planting it all over a college campus?” His reply: “Don’t tell me. I don’t want to know. If I know, then I’m obligated to do something or be legally responsible.” Interestingly enough, he didn’t “do something.”  And, fortunately, as far as I know, there were no poisoning incidents, although I did know one young lady off campus who went into the hospital after giving it a try.  I understand it does not induce a pleasant trip, so maybe word got around.

We do what we want to do, as long as we feel a degree of certainty that we won’t face any consequences for doing it. But really, if we think it’s wrong , we’d prefer someone else get it done without involving us.

...but hey, do what you want...you will anyway.

No comments: