Wednesday, June 22, 2016

The (Damned) Human Race*

A mascot for the 2016 Olympics in Brazil has been shot dead after escaping its human captors Monday.

Juma the jaguar appeared in chains at a torch relay ceremony earlier that day in the city of Manaus.

However, the feline was killed by a Brazilian soldier after breaking out of its cage at a zoo attached to a military training center, according to a statement from the army.

Four tranquilizer darts had failed to stop the animal.

  RT
*Essay by Mark Twain

I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the lower animals (so-called), and contrasting them with the traits and dispositions of man. I find the result humiliating to me. For it obliges me to renounce my allegiance to the Darwinian theory of the Ascent of Man from the Lower Animals; since it now seems plain to me that the theory ought to be vacated in favor of a new and truer one, this new and truer one to be named the Descent of Man from the Higher Animals.
Continue reading

No comments: