Thursday, October 3, 2013

Greenwald on Snowden & the Democratic Party

” Almost every day for four months, I've had the biggest TV shows and most influential media stars calling and emailing me, begging to interview [Edward] Snowden for TV. He has refused every request because he does not want the attention to be on him, but rather on the disclosures that he risked his liberty and even his life to bring to the world.

"He could easily have been the most famous person in the world, on TV every day and night. But he chose not to, selflessly, so that he would not distract from the substance of the story.”

[...]

"When I first began writing in 2005, I was focused primarily on the Bush NSA program, and I was able to build a large readership quickly because so many Democrats, progressives, liberal bloggers, etc, were so supportive of the work I was doing. That continued to be true through 2008.

"Now, a mere four [years] later, Democrats have become the most vehement defenders of the NSA and the most vicious attackers of my work on the NSA - often, some of the very same people cheering so loudly in 2006 and 2007 are the ones protesting most loudly and viciously now.

"Gee, I wonder what changed? In the answer lies all you need to know about the Democratic Party."

  Glenn Greenwald

No comments: