Friday, June 10, 2016

Good Lord, the Founding Fathers Are Rolling in Their Graves

The Senate majority leader, Mitch McConnell, would not rule out the possibility of rescinding his endorsement of Donald J. Trump’s presidential bid down the road, and he described the candidate as lacking knowledge in a number of areas in an interview released on Friday.

[...]

“I’m not going to speculate about what he might say or what I might do,” said the senator from Kentucky. “But I think it’s pretty clear. I’ve been very clear publicly about how I think he ought to change directions, and I hope that’s what we’re going to see.”

[...]

“He needs someone highly experienced and very knowledgeable because it’s pretty obvious he doesn’t know a lot about the issues.”

  NYT
Begging the question: why did you endorse him in the first place?
“For all of his obvious shortcomings, Donald Trump is certainly a different direction, and I think if he is in the White House he’ll have to respond to the right-of-center world which elected him, and the things that we believe in,” Mr. McConnell said. “So I’m comfortable supporting him.”

[...]

This week, Senator Mark Kirk of Illinois, one of the most vulnerable Republicans in the Senate, withdrew his endorsement of Mr. Trump over the remarks about Judge Gonzalo P. Curiel. Senator Lindsey Graham, who has not endorsed Mr. Trump, urged other Republicans to follow Mr. Kirk’s lead.
...but hey, do what you want...you will anyway.

No comments: