Saturday, July 25, 2015

Black Lives Matter

You could have easily guessed.



...but hey, do what you want...you will anyway.

This picture made me think of something else.  When I was working at the library in Galveston, Texas, a city with a large black population, a co-worker once complained that the blacks, not willing to work, wanted food stamps and government assistance (I believe the term used was "hand-outs"), but they all managed to have expensive smart phones.

I didn't say it at the time, and I should have, that smart phones aren't necessarily expensive.  But what I didn't even think, and I should have, is that to a black person, a smart phone is not a luxury, but a necessity.  Without the ability to record what's happening to them, there wouldn't even be the current  "conversation" about how they're treated in the "law enforcement" system.

No comments: