Saturday, February 14, 2015

Oh My

Compulsive.
A similar narrative evolution has been remarked in a story Williams has told about flying into Baghdad with members of Navy Seal Team 6, the group credited with killing Osama bin Laden. After the Bin Laden assassination, Williams said on the air that “I happen to have the great honor of flying into Baghdad with them at the start of the war.”

A year later, in an appearance on the Late Show with David Letterman, the Huffington Post noted, Williams elaborated the description. “I flew into Baghdad, invasion plus three days, on a blackout mission at night with elements of Seal Team 6, and I was told not to make any eye contact with them or initiate any conversation,” Williams said. But Navy sources told CNN that Team 6 did not accept passengers and such a trip would have been impossible.

[...]

“I’ve been so fortunate,” Williams said. “I was at the Brandenburg Gate the night the [Berlin] wall came down. I chipped a piece of my own off of that wall, and it’s framed and hanging in my den with the next day’s newspaper headline.”

It was [Tom] Brokaw, however, not Williams, who was the sole American anchor to report live from the scene on 9 November, 1989, the night the wall was opened.

  Guardian
What he's been fortunate about is that no one called him out before now.

...but hey, do what you want...you will anyway.





No comments: