Wednesday, January 7, 2015

US Prison Map




The headline says there are more jails in the US than colleges.  That should be no surprise to anyone.  But I do have some immediate questions.

1) I'm surprised that Texas seems to have fewer prisoners per county than several other states.

2) I'm supposing that California's and Arizona's large populations in the south are heavily weighted toward illegal immigrants - but maybe that's not the explanation. 

3) Florida also has loads, which I'm assuming are Cuban illegals - or maybe just Cuban gangsters?

4) I wonder what the heavy population indicates in eastern Minnesota and upstate New York.

5) Pennsylvania has lots, as well.  Are the Amish causing trouble?   And,

6) Massachusetts has a dense population in the east - that surprises me,  because Massachusetts is always billed as a very liberal state.  What's out there?

Obviously, my prison knowledge is scant at best and mistaken at worst.

I'm not curious enough to actually research these points.  Maybe you know someone who's incarcerated and needs to fill some time productively?

No comments: