Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Sigh

When the government was caught spying on American citizens in the 1960s and 70s, Congress created the Church Committee to right the government's wrongs. Recommendations from that commission resulted in legal reforms that ensured judicial oversight of surveillance programs. Congress must act in a similar fashion and create a 21st Century Church Committee and enact strong legislation to rein in the Executive Branch and protect our communications.

Join EFF in calling for a full investigation by emailing Congress today.

  EFF
Okay, I will. (You can, too, if you want: here) But if the Church Committee brought about reforms that worked, how did we get where we are now?

As I already said, this is our world now. We lost power to change it long ago. But, still, I feel compelled to at least join in EFFORTS to change it, knowing it will never change until humans change (also never, it is beginning to appear), because, how can I say I didn’t even care enough to sign a petition? I’m conflicted. Because in my case, certainly this is wasted – my Congressmen are John Cornyn and Ted Cruz!  Those two could give a cold rat’s ass for my civil liberties. (In fact, not many constituents must care, either, because they both have a list of issues to pick from when you send them anything, and civil liberties isn't on either.) The petitioning is also directed to the White House. Like THAT ass cares any more than the Texas Two Stoops. Pretty much what I get from this effort is another black mark on the NSA recording sheet. Ah, well. Even though I’m not stirring up much dust, I’m still kickin’. For now.

No comments: