Wednesday, June 12, 2013

It's More Than "Troubling"

When asked last September if he personally chose which individual terrorist suspects could be targeted with lethal force, President Barack Obama gave a response that would have astounded the founding fathers: "What is absolutely true is that my first job, my most sacred duty, as president and commander in chief, is to keep the American people safe." This is false. As the presidential "Oath or Affirmation" in the Constitution reads: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of the President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

It is troubling that someone who lectured on constitutional law for a dozen years at the University of Chicago Law School would misidentify the president's primary pledge and obligation.

  Foreign Policy

No comments: