Thursday, February 16, 2012

Politics Is Politics

At any level, apparently.

I was talking to the library director yesterday, who said he had been in municipal government for 18 years.

"It's just awful.  You wouldn't believe it.  The public has no idea that those people are not interested in doing what's good for the people.  It's all about favors."

Well, I guess that's where many of the Washington crowd gets their start.

I already knew that at least at the state level it was the same game from an experience I had while in college when I met with a professor of mine and the aide to a state rep who came to pick up a proposal we had prepared - for what now I cannot remember - hoping to get it before the legislature.  She arrived dressed to the nines and talked about the flower arrangements for a banquet the legislators were having and which the professor was having donated from the horticulture department - something he didn't tell me before the meeting.  Not a word about the proposal was mentioned, and in fact, when she got up to leave, she left it laying on the table.  I picked it up and waggled it in her face.  "Would you like to take this with you?"  I snarled.  I got chewed out by the professor afterward.

The library director said he won't even so much as watch a municipal meeting on the local TV channel any more.  And not only because they're so goddamned boring.

Me neither. 

 ...but hey, do what you want...you will anyway.

No comments: