Thursday, January 19, 2012

Well, That's At Least a Very Funny Excuse

The cruise liner captain accused of abandoning ship after he struck rocks off the Tuscan coast last Friday has reportedly claimed he was unable to lead the evacuation because he slipped and tripped into a lifeboat while helping passengers leave the stricken vessel.

[...]

"I didn't even have a life jacket because I had given it to one of the passengers. I was trying to get people to get into the boats in an orderly fashion. Suddenly, since the ship was at a 60-70° angle, I tripped and I ended up in one of the boats. That's how I found myself in the lifeboat," said Schettino.

  UK Guardian
You will remember the recorded radio conversation between the captain and the Coast Guard at the time. I hope he has a good retirement fund. Wrecking a ship and causing the deaths of a dozen people would not necessarily earn him a jail sentence, but abandoning ship would. I'm sure the thought of going to jail set him to consider what possible reasons he could have had for doing it. The fact that it was getting dark didn't seem to cut it with the Coast Guard. Tripping and falling into a life boat...yeah, that's the ticket.

He should spend time in jail just for coming up with that.

No comments: