Wednesday, December 21, 2011

What's With TPM?

UPDATE:  Guess what!  There were two guys calling him an asshole.  And one of them was the old guy in the camo  (see how wrong I can be?  I wonder why he thinks Newt is an asshole...):



ORIGINAL POST:

I don't get it. The headline at TPM, with picture, is this:

And the accompanying text on the home page is this:
When a man in a camouflage coat grabs your hand in an Iowa grocery store and calls you 'a fucking asshole' to your face, it might be time to take stock of your position in the state.

  TPM
But when you click the link to read the full story, while the picture is the same at the top of the page, if you scroll down the page to the actual video, it shows that this is the man who made the comments:



Unless two guys in Iowa just called him an asshole.  In which case, why not also give us the story behind the guy in camo?

My guess is: The guy in camo was sucking up to Newt.  Of course, I'm assuming on basis of an image I have about old guys in camo, which may not always hold true.  My question is: Why is TPM trying to plant a false image in your mind of the "type" of Iowan who calls out Newt Gingrich? I'm sure there'll be a correction, but you know how it is with first impressions and photographic evidence. So does TPM. That's how Fox News makes its bread and butter.

...but hey, do what you want...you will anyway.

Okay, I'm being too hard on TPM. We all make mistakes. They'll fix it soon enough.

In case you’re wondering what happened next….
Newt Gingrich’s walk back tour reached its zenith Tuesday night, as Gingrich personally apologized to Paul Ryan for dismissing his Medicare plan as “right wing social engineering.” In an added twist, Gingrich claims that the merest mention of his extensive condemnation of Ryan’s budget from Sunday’s Meet The Press by Democrats is now out of bounds as a result.

“Any ad which quotes what I said on Sunday is a falsehood, because I have said publicly those words were inaccurate and unfortunate,” he told FOX’s Greta Van Susteren.

  TPM
Yes, Newt also knows the magic of public pronouncements and "the jury will disregard that" follow-ups.

No comments: