Friday, December 30, 2011

Since It's the Holidays

Well, that is since it's the American holidays.  Or since it's the Christian and western holidays.

You know that nothing happens that needs to be reported.  The media are in holiday mode, so unless there's another 9/11, don't expect much in the way of "news".

Personally, I am catching up on the Harry Bosch novels.  I started with the Micky Haller ones, which introduced me to Michael Connelly, which I guess is kind of backwards.  Anyway, I have the latest Bosch novel and an earlier one currently in progress, and then I'll have four left to catch up the whole series.  I wonder when Harry will retire for good.....

Haller, of course, being a lawyer, will never have to stop.  On the other hand, I suppose Harry can always become a PI.  Again. 


...but hey, do what you want...you will anyway.

PS:  Michael Connelly.   Do not sell any more rights for movies, if "Lincoln Lawyer" is any indication of what will become of them.

PS: Readers.  Do not waste your money on the movie "Lincoln Lawyer" - it was highly doubtful to perform to the standards of the book, which makes it no different than any book-to-movie film, but particularly when somebody who obviously didn't read the book (mis)cast Matthew McConaughey as Mickey Haller.  But it really wasn't even any good without considering that inexcusable faux pas.  I watched the entire thing only because I liked the book so much and kept hoping it would get better.

Or, I could be wrong:
[Author Michael Connelly:]    ”The casting and acting is really superb.


[...]


I saw an unfinished cut of it and could not be happier. I thought it was very loyal to the story and the character of Mickey Haller. Matthew McConaughey nails him. Those who loved the book will love the movie, I think.”


  Wikipedia
Nobody I talked to. Which either means Connelly hasn’t managed to describe the man in his head very well in his book, or he just really wants the movie to be a financial success. Which is understandable of course.  Interestingly, his latest Bosch novel doesn't even have "A Harry Bosch Book" or anything mentioning Harry Bosch on the cover.  It does have, however, this:  Author of the #1 New York Times Bestseller "The Lincoln Lawyer."  A book which was written after at least 10 Harry Bosch novels.

(Okay, I didn't talk to THAT many people about it.)
The film received very positive reviews, scoring an 83% "certified fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes, based on 156 reviews with an average rating of 6.6/10. The site's critics consensus reads, "It doesn't offer any twists on the predictable courtroom thriller formula, but with a charming Matthew McConaughey leading its solid cast, The Lincoln Lawyer offers briskly enjoyable entertainment."
Well, there you go. Briskly enjoyable entertainment.
Lionsgate Vice Chairman, Michael Burns, has expressed his interest to bring back McConaughey for a sequel to the film.
For those of you who are okay with being enjoyably entertained by your crime and courtroom drama movies.   Briskly.

And with only an 83% approval rating?  Whatever.  Maybe that's good in movie land.

No comments: